We require that all of our fabrics come from environmentally sustainable sources as conservation and preservation are at the core of our values.
For this piece, we use BCI cotton as the primary component and recycled polyamide (nylon) for the inner mesh lining at the bodice.
Ethical information on BCI Cotton:
- BCI (Better Cotton Initiative) brings together farmers, ginners, traders, spinners, mills, retailers, brands, civil society and grassroots organizations in a unique global community committed to developing BCI Cotton as a sustainable mainstream commodity. (source)
- Production of regular cotton is often vulnerable to environmental degradation and poor working conditions. BCI helps farmers grow cotton in a way that reduces stress on the local environment and improves the livelihoods and welfare of farming communities by creating long-term change. (source)
Environmental information on BCI Cotton:
- Uses significantly less water for production (case studies show 40% reduction in water use by farmers in Pakistan and 50% by farmers in India) (source)
- BCI Farmers receive training on how to care for the health of the soil and natural habitats, minimize the impact of harmful crop protection practices, preserve fiber quality and apply decent work principles (source)
Environmental information on recycled polyamide:
- Recycled nylon diverts waste from landfills and the ocean, since nylon makes up many items such as clothes, packaging, fishing nets, etc. (source)
- Recycled nylon production consumes fewer resources in production than virgin nylon (source)
- Recycled nylon significantly reduces energy and greenhouse gas emissions (source)